Finishing a basement not only creates a great addition to your house, but it also becomes vital if you are looking to increase the recent value of the property. However, there are certain things for you to more before you can consider your basement to be finished.
- Water issues: When you are considering finishing your basement, it is important for you to check out if there are any kind of water issues in the basement before you can take on the planning process. This can be made obvious by the fact that there would be pools of water or even drips of water flowing down the walls. Always make sure that the ground of the basement is graded far away from the foundation. It would also do you a whole world of good to check if there are any cracks in the foundation walls and if there are any kind of repair work that needs to be done to it.
- Building codes: When taking on any kind of repair or addition work in your house, is always important for you to come up with a plan and check in with the local municipality if you would require any kind of performance to do so. This is very important, particularly if there is going to be extensive plumbing as well as electrical work which will be done in your basement, for which your basement would be required to be inspected.
- Vapor barrier: It is always important for you to add a vapor barrier just so that your basement does not become damp. In order for you to do so, vapor barrier to both the sides of the walls as well as the floor prior to the framing and the finishing of the surfaces is necessary. It is always a good idea for you to lay down a vapor barrier for at least a couple of days and then try again check under need to see if there are any kind of vapor formations before you can continue on finishing the basement.
- Insulation: The installation of insulation in the basement is very important so that you will be able to maintain the temperature and also create an extra an additional layer of barrier for the moisture. Having the insulation is also a necessity during the winter season, while at the same time you also need to get it checked by the municipal inspectors for its compliance with the building codes.
- Lighting: The lighting to the basement is always a very good option and it should be done by having ample light fixtures in various parts of the basement. It would be extremely easy if you make use of a drop ceiling to install the lighting as it would provide proper illumination, while at the same time ensure that you face no problems when you’re down in the basement.
With these tips, finishing the basement in the proper manner should not be a problem for you.